Cariblend® Mild Jerk Spice
Cariblend® Seasoned Salt
dried ginger (powder)
mature cheddar cheese
Carib-French Sweet Potato Dauphinoise
Sweet potatoes in a wonderfully rich and complex cheese sauce, subtly enhanced with Caribbean flavours
- 900 g sweet potatoes (purple sweet potatoes are more colourful & tasty – and help prevent dementia (!) - but any variety of sweet potato will do)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 lime(s) (zest only)
- 42 g peanut butter
- 14 g almond butter or paste
- 56 g golden syrup (or light corn syrup)
- 30 ml dark rum
- ¼ tsp dried ginger (powder)
- 1 tsp Cariblend® Mild Jerk Spice
- ½ tsp Cariblend® Seasoned Salt
- 28 g butter
- 18 g flour
- 120 g grated mature cheddar cheese (100g/3½oz in the sauce; 20g/¾oz to sprinkle on top)
- 60 g grated mozzarella cheese
- 60 g feta cheese (broken into pieces to dot on the top)
- 18 g coconut flour (for dusting the potatoes & thickening the sauce - optional
- Parboil the sweet potatoes (not too soft – around 10 minutes).
- Once parboiled, drain off the cooking water and replace with cold water (you don’t want the skins to dry – that makes them harder to peel).
- When cool enough to handle, peel and slice (they are much easier to peel after they have been parboiled).
- Blend the coconut milk, lime zest, peanut butter, almond butter, golden syrup, rum, jerk spice, seasoned salt, and ginger in a food processor.
- Make a roux with the flour and butter.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the seasoned coconut milk mixture, stirring vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Return to the heat and cook until thickened. Add some coconut flour if it is not thick enough.
- Then add the grated mozzarella and 100 g (3½ oz) of the grated cheddar, and stir until melted. Taste, and add salt and/or pepper, if necessary. Set aside.
- Lightly dust the slices of sweet potato with coconut flour (if using) and make one layer in a gratin dish. Pour over some of the cheese sauce. Then add another layer of floured sweet potato slices, another layer of cheese sauce, and so on until all the sweet potato and sauce have been used.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheddar over the top, dot with the feta pieces, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 200°C/400°F (Fan 180°C/350°F) until golden brown.
When people first read the list of ingredients for this recipe, their first reaction is often: "Whaaaaat? All those can't possibly work together!" Well, believe me, they do. This is one of those magical recipes where all the individual flavours seem to disappear and merge into one harmonious whole. This was one of my first "Carib-fused" creations, and I am as fond of it now as I was when I first created it.
Serving: 8peopleCalories: 411kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 12gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 491mgPotassium: 598mgFiber: 6gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 16209IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 241mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!